***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***

Update 8/17 - New board going live today.

Update 8/14 - ***Migration work continues. Estimate Go Live to new board 8/17***

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Help me choose two vokey wedges

bkm97 ·  
bkm97bkm97 Members  23WRX Points: 29Handicap: a lot Posts: 23 Bunkers

I have my Ping i210 PW 45 and my UW 50

I now want two wedges to round out my set. I will probably get some vokeys SM7s or SM8s but I’m getting super confused with all the grinds and bounces. My wedge shots are more on the shallow end for divots. What two wedges could set me up for success for every shot type. Please state which bounce and grind. If you could state why you chose the particular loft/grind/bounce i would appreciate that a lot. I would assume i would go 54 and 58 but l let you guys make the call.

thanks and i hope this is okay to ask

Posted:
Tagged:

Comments

• bombsbombs Members  64WRX Points: 40Handicap: 10Posts: 64 Bunkers

54 S grind and 58/60 K grind

Posted:

D: G410+ | F: M3 | H: Epic | I: P790 | W: RTX-4 | P: Spider X

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • IvyguyIvyguy Members  1647WRX Points: 286Posts: 1,647 Platinum Tees

It depends on ground conditions.

I go 52F (wish I did 50), 56S and 60M. S is super playable from a bunch of lies. The M is a good at most, not great at anything for me.

54 loft reads a more straight forward pitching approach. Hard to beat the F for that. Not sure if S is an option at that loft if it is then that is what I would opt for. I like lower bounce wedges at 58+, maybe look at L or T (Wedge works).

domt discount Cleveland, lots of options.

Posted:
  • Kblair9325Kblair9325 Members  11WRX Points: 14Posts: 11 Bunkers

56 d 60m

Posted:
  • hypergolfhypergolf Members  1364WRX Points: 138Posts: 1,364 Platinum Tees

I went with 50 12F grind, 54 10S grind and 58 12D grind with SM7... Until I found RTX4...

Posted:
  • MinimalistGCMinimalistGC Members  80WRX Points: 99Posts: 80 Fairways

1 with a d grind the other low bounce. Dealers choice.

Posted:
    913 D2
    u510 4, AP2 6-8-PW
    SM4 56°
    09 SC California Monterey

Golf Instagram:
  • TommyjTommyj Members  750WRX Points: 262Posts: 750 Golden Tee

I assume you are probably using the 54 primarily for full shots, so I would go for the S grind, stability on full shots but some sole relief if you want to get fancy. For the 58 I would probably go with the D over the K. I wouldn't go with less bounce because the 58 will be your primary club from green side bunkers. The K always gets great reviews, but you say you are a bit more shallow. I had the K and didn't like how far the leading edge was off the ground when I opened the faced - but it still worked.

Having said all that, you've got Ping irons so I would go with Ping Glide wedges over Vokeys, SS in both 54 and 58. Ping keeps the grind thing simple and they work.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • bkm97bkm97 Members  23WRX Points: 29Handicap: a lot Posts: 23 Bunkers

I will check out the Ping glides. I don’t like the Ping wedge with the squareish face. I think it looks absolutely hideous

Posted:
  • TommyjTommyj Members  750WRX Points: 262Posts: 750 Golden Tee

I thought the Glides have a pretty traditional tear drop shape. I find the black lie angle a bit upright in the Pings and that may make the face appear a bit more square. Even though I'm black with my irons I tend to go red with wedges. The glides have a very traditional look with the flatter lie angle.

Posted:
  • VolnutVolnut Members  93WRX Points: 62Posts: 93 Fairways

You're probably talking about the eye2 grind. The SS and WS are more traditional.

Posted:
  • CDLgolfCDLgolf Members  1046WRX Points: 190Posts: 1,046 Platinum Tees

54 S bent to 55 and 60 M both in sm7 right now 119 each. I play in firmer conditions with firm bunkers and this combo works well for me.

Posted:
    Cobra F8
    Ping G25 3 wood
    Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Glide 56 & 60
    Toulon Atlanta
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members  1529WRX Points: 565Handicap: 12Posts: 1,529 Platinum Tees

The 54 has to be the D grind, it excels on full shots, pitches and bunkers, everything you need for all-year-round golf in one club. I can’t imagine a better 54* wedge than this and I’ve had many over the last few years including MD3, MD4, RTX4, Glide 2.0, CBX and CBX2 as well as a G410 SW.

The 58 I went with M, it’s not as consistent, wish I’d gone for another D. For winter I will need to get something with more bounce. I do carry a wedge or two above this so I don’t really need to open it up. Although I like it, I’m erring towards preferring the MD5 at the higher lofts.

The 54*, however, is a stroke of genius in D, the best wedge I’ve ever hit by a mile - my usage is pretty much everything between 90y and 45y plus most bunkers and the very occasional bump and run. How many clubs perform better than you expect it to every single shot? This one brings a smile to my face on every usage, I’m not sure I’ve hit a bad one with it yet, it consistently ends up closer to the pin than I was expecting.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Hybrids: Titleist TS3 17* Stiff HZRDUS Smoke & TS2 21* Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G410 5-PW (#5 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Vokey SM8 50F, 54D & 58M, Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.