***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***

Update 8/17 - New board going live today.

Update 8/14 - ***Migration work continues. Estimate Go Live to new board 8/17***

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Full Lob Wedge

BigTexan ·  
BigTexanBigTexan Members  18WRX Points: 7Posts: 18 Bunkers

I carry a 50°, 54° and 58° and have been working on 1/2, 3/4 and full swing shots. I’ve gotten confident in hitting those shots with all those clubs except the 58° full shot. It seems that the club either just slides under the ball or it spins off to the right. Do y’all hit full lob wedge shots or should I just resort to 1/2 and 3/4 swings with that club?

Posted:

Comments

• FuscinatorFuscinator Members  490WRX Points: 304Posts: 490 Greens

I have an old 63° lob wedge I used to hit full shots with, but I practiced with it all the time (even then, I had to be 'on'). Lately, I've managed to use my lob wedges only when I have no other choice (it probably won't last).

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BigTexanBigTexan Members  18WRX Points: 7Posts: 18 Bunkers

WOW. That’s a big difference. You’re braver than me. I’d never want to hit something like that.

Posted:
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2656WRX Points: 1,668Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,656 ClubWRX

I have a 58° wedge that I hit full. I use it full for 70 - 75 yards. It is very important to keep the hands ahead thru impact and have the correct bounce for your swing type and turf conditions.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Jim Kronus JK-1 Custom Grind 54/06 w/DG S200
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1X in yellow

I do get steep sometimes with this club. I have 12° of bounce, but I honestly don’t understand bounce that well. These wedges have 10, 11 and 12 degrees of bounce. What do you mean by turf conditions? I play in southeast Texas and the grass is mainly Bermuda.

Posted:
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2656WRX Points: 1,668Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,656 ClubWRX

If you are steep and the turf is soft (I am guessing this is what you play on most of the time unless it is summer and drought conditions) then bounce is your friend. What you have is probably fine.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Jim Kronus JK-1 Custom Grind 54/06 w/DG S200
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1X in yellow
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  14099WRX Points: 2,923Handicap: 3.1Posts: 14,099 Titanium Tees

Check your lie angles, I love full 64* shots

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Ping G410 7w 19.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki ax400 82x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey TVD 52m-58m-64* s400
    Piretti Matera Elite

Advertisement

My home course does a great job of keeping the course watered and doesn’t let it get dried out. Some of the others courses do get dried out and it scares me to hit a wedge. I’m much more comfortable playing a running punch type shot. Less of a chance to hit it thin with a wedge.

Posted:
  • LukeDonaldsTigerLukeDonaldsTiger Members  538WRX Points: 254Handicap: 19Posts: 538 Golden Tee

I’ve found that a shorter backswing yields more distance AND control in my 52/56/60 wedges. Even with the 9i, I’m Tony Finauing it and it works so much better.

Maybe try this on the range. I discovered it by trying to find my maximum distance with a pitch/three-quarter swing and noticed I’m longer than taking full swings. Hands forward, aggressive but controlled downswing does this for me.

Posted:

WITB 2020:

Driver: Mizuno JPX 900 @10.5° (Tensei White 70g stiff) - 240m/260y

3W: Mizuno JPX 900 @15° (Motore Speeder VC 6.3 stiff) - 215m/235y

alt.: 2i: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi @16.5° (DG S300 Sensicore) - 210m/230y

3H: Srixon H45 Hybrid @19° (Kuro Kage 70g stiff) - 195m/215y

3i: Mizuno MP-H5 @21° (Diamana S+ 80HY stiff) - 185m/200y

4i-6i: Mizuno MP-15 (DG S300 Sensicore) - 4i: 170m/185y

7i-PW: Mizuno MP-33 @1° strong (DG S300 Sensicore) - 7i: 140m/155y

Wedges: Mizuno T20 wedges, @56-14/60-10 (DG S400 TI)

Putter: Mizuno MP-T105

Ball: Snell MTB Black (Yellow)

I know exactly what you mean. I’ve worked very hard to cover 60-130 yards with these 1/2 and 3/4 shots. But occasionally I will catch one perfect and it explodes off the club face. I’ve really focused on trying to keep the same swing speed for these shots.

Posted:

There’s a very good chance they are off. I added 1.5” extensions into all my irons and I’ve never had them checked for like angle.

Posted:
  • FuscinatorFuscinator Members  490WRX Points: 304Posts: 490 Greens
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  14099WRX Points: 2,923Handicap: 3.1Posts: 14,099 Titanium Tees

My wedges are also 1 to 1.25” longer ... but they were all set to 62*

dbl check Tex

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Ping G410 7w 19.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki ax400 82x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey TVD 52m-58m-64* s400
    Piretti Matera Elite

• 8thehardway8thehardway Members  1912WRX Points: 75Handicap: 8Posts: 1,912 Platinum Tees

When I first got my 64* I had to train myself to swing as if I wanted to make contact a few inches past the ball to avoid sliding under/spinning right on full shots, then no problem.

Posted:
    Honma Beres 10.5*
    Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
    Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
    Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
    Tom Slighter Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (since 2006)
    Backup
    Gauge Design, Japan Forged L semi-mallet

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5173WRX Points: 920Posts: 5,173 Titanium Tees

I hit a full lob wedge about once a year. If: the ball is sitting up and I need to go over something. Like a big tree. Other than that, I'd rather hit a 1/2 or 3/4 50° wedge. I can get a bit flippy at the bottom with lofted clubs and my dynamic loft changes from shot to shot. If I take a full swing with a lob wedge, sometimes it will go 40 yards and sometimes 70 yards. Usually, the harder I swing, the higher and shorter it goes. In the whole scheme of golf, hitting a full lob wedge is one of the last shots you need to master.

Posted:

That is exactly what happens to me. It seems, the harder I swing, the shorter the **** will go. A 3/4 swing seems to compress the ball better and drive it toward the target.

Posted:
  • Jeff58Jeff58 Bend OregonMembers  357WRX Points: 234Posts: 357 Greens

Clubs have a thing called swing weight. It’s essentially the weight distribution between the grip and the club head. A club with a higher swing weight will feel more head heavy . Wedges typically have higher swing weights than other clubs, often around D4. When you add length to a shaft, you add around 3 swing weight points per half inch. Adding 9 points to a wedge without adjusting swing weight in some way will make it both extremely heavy, and out of sync with the rest of your other clubs. You absolutely should be having trouble hitting full shots with it.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dan360dan360 loisible Members  5612WRX Points: 610Posts: 5,612 Titanium Tees

60° and 64° are a barrel o' fun on full shots, knockdowns, all that jazz. Wedges are awesome.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
    PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
    Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
    PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members  1847WRX Points: 230Handicap: YesPosts: 1,847 Platinum Tees

58* dead right blocks here too on full swing. Up to 75% I love the club. I've been blaming the shaft.

Posted:
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • Boricua GolfBoricua Golf Members  3547WRX Points: 178Handicap: 3.3Posts: 3,547 Titanium Tees

I too carry a 58*, on full shots it goes from 90-105, most of the time I don't "full" with it, it gets 75-85 yards with average swing speed 75%, all my wedges have 8* of bounce...

Posted:
    Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
    Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
    Ping G 19*, GD Tour AD-DI 105X
    Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 33.25" with Scotty Custom Black Pistolero grip, Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour 32.75", built up blacked out Pingman Grip
    Bridgestone Tour XS (Tiger Edition) and new Pro V1

All of my irons were extended the same amount so I don’t necessarily notice the wedges to be much heavier. I’m pretty much self taught and have never had a club fitting, so maybe after this virus is behind me I’ll try to find a fitter to see if my clubs need to be modified.

Posted:
  • Jeff58Jeff58 Bend OregonMembers  357WRX Points: 234Posts: 357 Greens
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.