***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***

Update 8/17 - New board going live today.

Update 8/14 - ***Migration work continues. Estimate Go Live to new board 8/17***

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Making no putts is golf's version of purgatory

MtlJeff ·  
MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29953WRX Points: 3,000Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,953 Titanium Tees

Right?

Now, i am a good golfer who in my time has been through all sorts of slumps. I've had years where i was so terrified of hitting driver that i used it only once in a 36 hole club championship. I've had years where i've struggled with irons.....but there is nothing quite like making zero putts. To me it's the worst feeling in golf. Nothing leaves you more unsatisfied after a round than making nothing after having like 10 good looks

I've hinted at it a bit, but this year has been a dry spell for the ages for me putting wise. I am a legit 1.0 index right now, and through ~25 rounds my high for birdies this season is 2. That is not a misprint. We have a 500yd straightaway par 5 on our course that i have birdied zero times in 2020. Today i hit 16 greens in regulation and shot a 75. Earlier in the year i went 7 straight rounds without a birdie, though to be fair those were my rounds 2-8 of the season after a 3 month Covid layoff.

I am the king of the no-birdie 77. And i don't expect sympathy. I realize playing off a 1 is very good golf

All i am saying, is making NO PUTTS is the worst feeling in golf.....of every struggle i've had.

Does anyone disagree with that? Anyone else had one particular slump that just killed your season?

Posted:
Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/ KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
Odyssey Oworks Red Tank #7

Comments

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5173WRX Points: 920Posts: 5,173 Titanium Tees

I feel your pain. Congrats on 16 GIR. My best is 14 GIR and no birdies. The next week I hit 12 GIR and no birdies. Two days later I hit 7 GIR and made 2 birdies that were kick ins. I'm hitting good putts but I'm not seeing the line at all. Do you see the line or are you just controlling speed and aiming sort of at the hole and playing for some break? I mean, are you seeing the line but not hitting it or are is the line blurry and you're just going through the motions?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jvincentjvincent Members  1732WRX Points: 989Posts: 1,732 Platinum Tees

Sounds like it's time for a new flatstick. An offering to the putter gods needs to be made.

Posted:

Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29953WRX Points: 3,000Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,953 Titanium Tees

I rotate between 3 putters LOL.....maybe i should stick with one!

All seem to be equally cursed

Posted:
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29953WRX Points: 3,000Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,953 Titanium Tees

My distance control has been pretty good. I think one big challenge has been that our course (i mentioned this in another thread) has had very funky pin positions this year, often 10-11 of them each round are on edges of greens. So i have a lot of 30 foot putts instead of 15 foot putts when you kind of hit the center of the green. So that probably eliminates a few birdies here and there

And then on the holes where i do have a 10-12 footer for birdie, i tend to miss it closely. I wouldn't say i'm putting terribly. Like i'm not missing by a foot. They just aren't going in

Posted:
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
  • msd71msd71 Members  767WRX Points: 171Handicap: 1Posts: 767 Golden Tee

I hear you. I'm quite good at 3-putt avoidance. Unfortunately I'm also good at 1-putt avoidance.

I have a natural tendency to die it at the hole. I make more birdies when I am able to force myself to get the ball to finish past the hole. But my brain really fights that.

Posted:
  • nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera Members  5913WRX Points: 526Handicap: -.6Posts: 5,913 Titanium Tees

You're getting a little vintage on you Jeffrey. Have you had your vision checked lately? The last time I encountered what you're describing I couldn't see the line to save my skin. But one day I was about to draw the putter back on a 6-footer and I realized I couldn't see a dimple on the ball. A trip to the Optometrist cured that and after about two weeks to get accustomed to my new vision, I started dropping some of those I couldn't sniff before. It's worth checking on my friend.

Posted:
    JBeam BM-435 Blackout 9* Accra TZ6 65 M5
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* 3WD & 18* 5WD Accra TourZ 382 M5
    Exotics CBX 22* Hybrid Accra TZ5-95H M5 or
    Exotics CB2  21* 7WD Accra TZ5 85 M5  or
    Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 19* Speeder 904HB X
    PING S55 5-P Mitsubishi MMT-125TX
    Chikara V1 Proto 51, 55, 59 KBS Tour X (8-iron)
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)

Advertisement
  • chipachipa Florida/Caribbean Members  373WRX Points: 96Handicap: Dec. '20Posts: 373 Greens

I am generally a terrible putter but read about trying a round grip plus I also watched some videos of Bobby Jones wristy stroke and alignment method. So I put a round grip on my ping anser and played 9 holes today and I putted very well - no birdies and only 2 3 putts, which is not bad for the greens on my home course which are very sloping. I've seen Jone's alignment method many times over the years and never thought much of it but amazingly it helped me line up shorts putts correctly. Somehow I don't feel so intimidated anymore and feel like my 5-6 3 putt days are behind me and if I get more inside 15' looks I'm going to start dropping a lot more of them.

Posted:

Macgregor 9.5 - F-35 16.5 - Acer XV Tour 23, 26, 33, 41, 50, 55. - Bionik 105

• Soloman1Soloman1 Members  2964WRX Points: 985Posts: 2,964 Titanium Tees

Since your distance control is self professed to be good, you're putter alignment at impact, your understanding of the line and your alignment at address can be one or all off. Find a flat, straight putt on the practice green and set up an elevated line to get that alignment or sight picture calibrated.

Just go fix it.

Posted:
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • YuckYuck Fore! Members  2693WRX Points: 320Posts: 2,693 Titanium Tees

I feel your pain. 10 years ago I was a 0. Many years ago I was a plus 2. Now I range from 3-6 index hitting it pretty much like I used to. When I can average 34 putts a round or so I am a Three, when I have long streaks of 40+ putts rounds I am a 6. My issues are putts from 1’ to 4’ ft. My claim to fame is once shooting a 34 putt 68. After a few years you grow to accept your mediocrity. Just remember 40 putts a round is better than 50. Purgatory is better than H**l.

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,791Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX

Putting well here but finding almost no fairways this season, lol. King of sometimes making three or four birdies and shooting 79-81, driving me nuts (but for me that’s still good). Hitting driver in the trees no fun.

Sounds like something is off just a fraction. Maybe have a putting coach check your setup and alignment or a friend take some pics if you feel you can self analyze, but IMO it can be subtle.

Posted:

I'd bet I'm not reading the line as well as I used to. Maybe I need to start focusing on this a bit more. I used to be a bit more mechanical in my putting, it may help to go back to that

Posted:
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300

Advertisement
  • Fairways_and_GreensFairways_and_Greens Washington StateMembers  971WRX Points: 286Handicap: 6.7Posts: 971 Golden Tee

GIR isn't useful for measuring putting. I might hit 3 GIR and each time put it to 5 feet.... I'm going to likely have a birdie.

I might also hit 18 GIR at 30 feet. If I was a PGA level putter, I'd get on average one birdie.

I used to think I was a bad putter because I hit more than average GIR and have a 3 putt or 2 a round. After using Decade I realize 3 putting from 40' is very likely, and the best way to have short birdie putts isn't necessarily aiming at the pin.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 9° Kuro Kage DC tx
    Epic Flash SZ 15° Kai'li x
    Epic Flash 3H 19° Evenflow Black 6.5
    Z765 4-G Modus3 125x
    SM6 56°/60° Super Peening Blue
    Spider X Chalk
    Z Star XV
  • FergusonFerguson Members  6026WRX Points: 3,523Handicap: 6.7Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees

Practice putting to an object, not a hole. Stick a tee in the ground or drop your glove on the green and putt to that.

Try to hit the object. It will give you an entirely new perspective on "speed."

Posted:
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods  8988WRX Points: 333Handicap: lowPosts: 8,988 ClubWRX

I'll echo what Fergie said - practice putting to a tee in the ground rather than a hole. After 10-15 minutes of practice, you'll be surprised how big the hole looks.

I went through a patch very much like you describe in your OP. There are a lot of factors that can contribute. Like someone said above, hitting 14-16 greens (but always 25-30 feet away) can be a misleading stat. ****, the pros, as good as they are, only average 43% from 10 feet. These are the best players in the world.

Posted:

PING G410 LST 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Titleist TS3 15* - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
    Callaway Apex 19* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG 0311T 4-P - DGTI AMT S400
    Titleist SM7 50, 56, 60 - DGTI S400
    Odyssey Black WHP #1
    Titleist Pro-V1 Yellow
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,791Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX

Sunglasses?

Posted:

My last 2 rounds I hit 29 total greens , made 2 birdies total, 1 putt from outside 10 feet and shot two 75's

On brand, at least

Posted:
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300

Advertisement
  • marmadukmarmaduk Members  440WRX Points: 312Handicap: my golf swingPosts: 440 Greens

I just couldn’t make any putts

Posted:
    WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
    http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members  1373WRX Points: 319Handicap: 15Posts: 1,373 Platinum Tees

Go to a thrift store and buy the cheapest junkiest putter hanging around and game it for a month. I bet you break your putting slump.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65, R - CAMO!
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Cobra F9 18.5* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65, R
    Titleist 915H 21* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW Recoil 660 F3, R
    Vokey SM7, 56*/8 M Grind, Recoil ZT9 460 F3, R
    Miura 1957, 59* C Grind, Nippon Modus 110, Wedge Flex
    TM Spider Tour
  • 4x4GGG4x4GGG Members  167WRX Points: 92Handicap: 15Posts: 167 Fairways

Some people have never had a full season of the shanks before and it shows.

Posted:
  • MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm MassachusettsMembers  1079WRX Points: 223Handicap: 2 (index = 2.3)Posts: 1,079 Platinum Tees

Finding this thread after shooting 75 with 15 GIR and 36 putts is truly incredible timing for me! I turned that trick, yesterday with 18 two-putt greens. I had six birdie looks of less than 12-feet and missed them all. However, it wasn’t the worst feeling in the golfing world. I had the driver-yips about ten years ago and that was a horrible feeling. Absolutely THE WORST.

Posted:
  • aggie182aggie182 Validating - Unconfirmed, Members  1WRX Points: 0Posts: 1 Starters

My putting this year has been horrendous so I did what any reasonable human would do and threw money at it. New putter, a few putting mats, other putting training aids. For me, I started to realize I wasn't reading the greens worth crap. Lately I have taken a cheap bubble level with me to the practice green, reading a putt, then plopping the bubble level down and seeing it if reported what I was seeing. It's helped me some, but I have a lot of work left to do.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.